Monday, October 22, 2012

Home Made Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake


for my neighbour
side view of neighbour's cake
for own consumption
It's my neighbour's gal and boy birthday this month so I intiated to make a Ice Cream Cake for the kids for celebration at home. Decided to try this Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake after seeing the picture on the blog, Browneyedbaker.
I made the ice cream advance, took a taste and it taste creamy and cookie-ish. Definetely yummy I feel, better than the previous Oreo Ice Cream I made. Hee =) I seriously hope the kids will love them. And I choose Chocolate Oreo Chiffon to paired with it, and I used the remaining batter into 3 cupcakes. Oh, I am loving them. Yummy.... =)
I am using the Ice Cream recipe from Browneyedbaker but using my previous Chiffon recipe and added oreo bits.

Chocolate Oreo Chiffon Cake Base

Using the leftover batter for little Chiffon Cup
Cookies & Cream Ice Cream (adapted from Browneyedbaker)
5 egg yolks
¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
1¼ cups heavy cream
½ cup whole milk **I use Full Cream Milk**
½ teaspoon kosher salt **I omit and use normal salt**
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups chopped Oreo cookies (about 15 cookies)
Set a wire-mesh sieve over a large bowl. Whisk together the egg yolks and ¼ cup of the sugar in a large bowl; set aside.
Warm the remaining ½ cup of sugar, cream, milk and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture begins to simmer, slowly drizzle it into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir in the vanilla extract. Place the bowl in an ice bath and stir occasionally, until the mixture reaches room temperature. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours, or overnight.
***Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the ice cream is ready, layer it into your freezer-safe container with alternating layers of the chopped cookies, beginning and ending with the ice cream.***
***I only used fork to run thru the ice cream every hour for the first 2 hours then leave it overnight.


PS: Will come back with the pics of the cut-up cake soon



No comments: